Relive 2012

tkm_coach_final_300x200Kathmandu: For the second successive AFC Challenge Cup final, Turkmenistan coach Yazguly Hojageldiyev was left cursing his luck as one missed spot-kick and another scored by the opposition saw the Central Asians lose out on silverware again to DPR Korea.

Hojageldiyev was in charge when Turkmenistan lost the 2010 final in a penalty shootout to the North Koreans after the two sides were locked at 1-1 after 120 minutes at the Sugathadasa Stadium in Sri Lanka.

However in the 2012 final, played at the Dashrath Stadium in Nepal, the penalty heartbreak took place during regulation time as DPR Korea's Jang Song-hyok netted the winner from the spot, two minutes after skipper Berdy Shamuradov had missed for Turkmenistan from 12 yards.

"This happens in football. Even the best players in the world miss penalties, Hojageldiyev said about Shamuradov, who had given Turkmenistan a second minute lead before the late penalty drama.

Hojageldiyev was more interested in DPR Korea's penalty, awarded when David Sakisov was adjudged to have hauled down Pak Kwang-ryong in the area.

"I would question the penalty awarded against us," he told media assembled in the post-match press conference.

"I'd like to see it again before making any comment because maybe I am wrong."

Despite the penalty misfortunate Hojageldiyev admitted that it was an evenly matched, hard-fought encounter but just not their day.

"This was a real final and a very interesting match with chances for both the Koreans and ourselves. But this is football. Today just wasn't a lucky day for us."

Official Sponsors
spon_epson_copy Kirin spon_samsung spon_toshiba toto spon_toyota

Official Supporters
Nikon