You are in AFC Cup  / Article

Group F: Yangon United FC 2-0 Naga World

Wednesday, May 15, 2019
Yangon United (MYA) vs Naga World (CAM) - AFC Cup 2019

Yangon: A dominant second-half ensured Yangon United FC of Myanmar defeated Cambodia's Naga World 2-0 in a match that ended the AFC Cup campaigns of both sides at Thuwunna Stadium on Wednesday. 

A tight opening kept the teams levelled at half-time, but Yangon outlasted their visitors after the break, with Maung Maung Lwin breaking the deadlock with 15 minutes remaining, before Vinicius Miller scored a penalty kick to ensure Tin Maung Tun's side finished third in Group F.

On an occasion which saw an all-female refereeing team take charge of an AFC Cup fixture for the first time in competition history, the motivation for both sides was to avoid finishing on the bottom of a group that was being decided elsewhere.

See also :

Having shipped 25 goals in five matches, Naga World came into the tie with the competition's worst defensive record, but, despite a glut of possession for the hosts, Meas Channa's side looked relatively solid at the back for most of the first half.

The best chances in the scoreless opening period came late, with Yangon's Miller hitting the woodwork from outside the box in the 43rd minute, before Naga World's Khim Borey saw his shot headed clear off the line by Thu Rein Soe after a spill from goalkeeper Kyaw Zin Htet led to a goalmouth scramble just before the interval.


The game burst into life almost immediately after the break, with a long range effort from Htoo Kyant Lwin tipped onto the crossbar by Sou Yaty, before half-time substitute Sekou Sylla became the latest Yangon player to hit the frame of the goal when he struck the upright moments later.

Sylla had a gilt-edged opportunity to put the hosts in front after Anderson Zogbe handled Maung Lwin's shot at goal in the 53rd minute, but the Guinean forward's tame spot kick was comfortably saved by Yaty, who was increasingly proving to be a thorn in Yangon's side.


But as much as Yaty was doing to help Naga World's cause, the woodwork continued to do as much as any player to keep the hosts scoreless, with Sylla remarkably hitting the same right-hand upright for a second time at the hour-mark.

Despite their misfortune, Yangon were now clearly in the ascendancy, and they finally made it count in the 75th minute, when Maung Lwin drilled a peach of a shot low into the bottom corner from 20 yards after being supplied by an inventive Min Kyaw Khant backheel.

Yangon sealed their win with the final kick of the match, with Vinicius Miller stepping up to do what Sylla had failed to do, and beat Yaty from the penalty spot in the 96th minute after Anderson had been penalised for handling the ball for second time in the match.

Recommended Stories :