You are in AFC Futsal Club Championship  / Article

Bank of Beirut dethrone Chonburi Bluewave

Wednesday, August 8, 2018
Bluewave Chonburi v Bank of Beirut

Yogyakarta: Bank of Beirut sealed their place in the semi-finals of the AFC Futsal Club Championship Indonesia 2018 with a thrilling quarter-final win over defending champions Chonburi Bluewave on Wednesday.

Bank of Beirut won a penalty shootout 3-2 after the amazing contest had finished 7-7 after extra time following a remarkable comeback by Bluewave, with the end of regulation time seeing the match tied 6-6.

Beirut found themselves on the back foot as early as the first minute after Suphawut Thueanklang lost his marker on the right and his shot slipped past Beirut goalkeeper Hussein Hamadani to give defending champions Bluewave the lead.

Bluewave played a high-pressing game with captain Kritsada Wongkaeo operating down the middle but Beirut looked dangerous every time they counter attacked.

Unable to find the second goal, Thail club Bluewave changed their strategy and brought in Sorasak Phoonjungreed, Peerapat Kaewwilai, Nattavut Madyalan and Suttiroj Natthapon but it was a move that backfired.


Mouhammad Hammoud equalised for Beirut in the fifth minute off a Mahdi Javid corner as his shot rattled off the right post past Bluewave goalkeeper Katawut Hankampa.

Bluewave conceded again two minutes later when Javid flicked his shot to score Beirut’s second after an assist from Patrick Vieira Luz.

A stung Bluewave sent on their starting five again but couldn’t stop the rot as Beirut went further ahead in the eighth minute through Mohamad Kobeissy, who was teed up by Ahmad Kheir El Dine.

Mouhammad Hammoud then made it 4-1 when he scored a beautiful backheel from Vieira’s lob in the box off a Javid cross from the left.

Jirawat Sornwichian pulled one back for Bluewave in the 14th minute when he connected off a corner.

A rampant Beirut answered just a minute later when Kobeissy made his run from the centre and scored his second goal with ease, firing his shot to the bottom right of the goalmouth.

Bluewave’s Kaewwilai narrowed the deficit in the 17th minute with a clever lob over Hamadani from the top of the arc.

Again, Beirut fired back just a minute later, this time with El DIne who found space and unleashed his shot to the roof of the net past Hankampa.

Jirawat, however, ensured Bluewave stayed within sight with his second from a tap in following neat exchanges with Thueanklang.

Bluewave started the second half on the front foot and a clinical finish from Thueanklang narrowed their deficit to just one.

Thueanklang then sent his team into celebrations when he scrambled home the equaliser two minutes later off Wongkaeo’s corner.

Bluewave attacked in droves after that but the remaining minutes of regulation time failed to yield any more goals with extra time needed to determine the winners of the thrilling tie.

Thueanklang claimed his fourth for Bluewave a minute into extra time, scoring with a sublime finish from the top of the arc past Hamadani.

Beirut, however, did not give up and equalised from a power play through Vieira Luz who blasted his shot past Hankampa from Javid’s layoff in the 46th minute.

That forced a penalty shootout, with Beirut's Karim Abou Zeid, Vieira Luz and Javid converting after Thueanklang had missed Bluewave's first.

Beirut will face the winners of the Nagoya Oceans-Thai Son Nam quarter-final in the last four.
Photos: AFC

Bluewave Chonburi Head Coach Rakphol Sainetngamwas
"We conceded many goals in the first half but the second half was much better. We fought back to even the tie 6-6 at full time and were in front 7-6 in extra time but unfortunately we couldn't protect the goal and the match went into penalties. What can I say, it was just down to bad luck and we lost."

Bank of Beirut Head Coach Dejan Dedovic
"Emotions are really high right now but if you watch all our previous games, we really deserved to win. We were leading throughout the match except during the first 20 seconds of the first half and the start of extra time. In the first half we were solid and then our captain got injured in the second period and that gave us problems. I tried to rotate players but we conceded two quick goals."