You are in / Article

Timor-Leste, Indonesia celebrate second successive wins

Chonburi: Timor-Leste and Indonesia secured their second successive victories as Vietnam recovered from an opening day defeat to claim full points on the third day of the 2019 AFF U-15 Championship being on Monday.

Indonesia 3-0 Singapore

After defeating Vietnam 2-0 in their opening match, Indonesia continued their victorious march against Singapore. After coming close in the 16th minute when Kadek Arel Priyatna’s header from Marselino’s free-kick, screamed over the bar, Indonesia made up for the miss with their opening goal two minutes later.

See also :

Mochamad Faizal ripped down the right and neatly floated his cross for Marselino to easily nod his team ahead. Just before the half-hour mark, a fine curling free-kick from Faizal was met with an equally brilliant save from keeper Veer Karan Sobri.

Indonesia added a second in the 71st minute when Wahyu Agong slammed in from close range and sealed another victory in the 79th minute when Faizal turned in a cross from Valeroen.

Myanmar 1-3 Timor-Leste

At the artificial pitch just across the road, Timor-Leste, 7-1 winners in their opening tie against the Philippines two days ago, were made to really sweat by the spirited Myanmar players. Timor-Leste pressed hard but could not get their shots through. Myanmar suffered a setback when in the 32nd minute, their captain Htet Myat Lwin was carried off injured.

Then, three minutes before the break, Timor-Leste were finally able to celebrate. Serafin Da Brito set-up skipper Paulo Freitas down the middle, but he then relayed to Alexandro who struck it in. Timor-Leste continued their hunt and just six minutes after the break, in the 46th minute, found the back of the net again, also through Alexander.

Alexander completed his hat-trick in the 69th minute, virtually sealing his team’s second win of the tournament. As the game was drifting to an end, the Myanmar players turned up the heat and picked up a goal when Kyaw Min Khant’s corner kick found Lat Wai Phone who connected into goal. They pressed on and had a few close attempts but were unable to make their shots count, ending any hopes of a late charge.

It was a good result for Timor-Leste and head coach Kim Shin Wan was pleased with his players, especially in the second half. “In the first half, we had some problems but in the second, the boys controlled the ball better and had good passing.”

Vietnam 3-1 Philippines

After tripping up against Indonesia in their opening match, Vietnam were determined to get back into contention which meant gunning for full points on Monday. The Filipino players were also seeking some form of redemption after their heavy defeat and put up a strong resistance in the first part of the match including blocking two close-range attempts from striker Cai Van Quy.

Their luck ran out in the 25th minute when a weak clearance landed in the path of Pham Van Phong who scrambled the ball into goal. Soon after the second half resumed, Vietnam extended their lead, through Van Quy in the 47th minute. Two minutes on, Vietnam were in a comfortable position after Van Quy stabbed a rebound into goal.

Vietnam were hungry for more but were denied any further celebrations by the heroics of goalkeeper Jan Reven Diolo. He took a few hard hits but picked himself up to battle on. In the dying moments, midfielder Harry James Nunez blasted his team’s only goal of the match.

Sources: Asean Football Federation & Football Association of Thailand

Recommended Stories :