You are in afcu19womenschampionship2019  / Article

Korea Republic seal qualification, Vietnam move closer

Sunday, April 28, 2019
Iran v Korea Republic - AFC U-19 Women's Championship 2019 Qualifiers (3)

Hanoi: Korea Republic booked their ticket to the Finals, while Vietnam moved to within one positive result of joining them as both registered wins in the second round of AFC U-19 Women's Championship Thailand 2019 Qualifiers on Sunday.


A goal in each half secured victory for Hur Jung-jae's side, who had begun the final stage of qualifying with a 9-0 win over Lebanon on Friday.

See also :

Iran's defeat comes as a blow to their chances of reaching Thailand 2019, but it is by no means a fatal one, with their destiny to be decided on the final Matchday on Tuesday.

As the two-time Asian champions at this age level, the Koreans began strongly and took the lead through Jo Min-ah, who found the back of the net in the 28th minute to give the East Asian side a 1-0 half-time lead.

Iran had performed well in the second half of their opening-night tie with group hosts Vietnam, and they did the same here, with only a late second goal from 18-year-old midfielder Hye Jong giving Korea Republic breathing space with five minutes remaining.

Korea Republic will face Vietnam in Tuesday's final Matchday, while Iran will be fighting for qualification against Lebanon on the same day.


Two goals from captain Nguyen Thi Tuyet Ngan helped Vietnam secure an important 4-1 win against Lebanon, taking themselves within touching distance of a return to the Finals, and eliminating their opponents from contention.

Mai Duc Chung's side will now confirm their place in the Finals with a draw or win against Korea Republic on Tuesday, but a defeat in the match could potentially open the door for Islamic Republic Iran, who currently sit three points adrift.

Vietnam looked by far the stronger side during a commanding first half performance, with Tuyet Ngan latching onto Truc Huong's pass to slip the ball past Lebanese shot-stopper Racha Yaghi for the opening goal in the 15th minute.

A close range header from Pham Thi Lan Anh doubled the lead 12 minutes later, giving the hosts a 2-0 advantage, and Lebanon 45 minutes to salvage their campaign, at half time.

Tuyet Ngan thundered a free-kick against the crossbar from 25 yards at the hour mark, but a dreadful defensive mix-up allowed Lebanon captain Yara Bou Rada to pull a goal back in the 67th minute.

Vietnam responded by launching a wave of attacks, with the impressive Tuey Ngan capping a fine display with a lobbed second goal in the 86th minute, before substitute Ngo Thi Hong Nhung rounded Yaghi to seal all three points in the third minute of injury time.

While the hosts are now just a single point away from reaching the continental Finals, Lebanon's defeat means they can no longer qualify ahead of their final match with Iran.

Photos: Vietnam Football Federation