AFC U23 Championship
You are in AFC U23 Championship  / Article

Qualifiers - Group H: Australia, Korea Republic close in on Finals

Sunday, March 24, 2019

Phnom Penh: Australia and Korea Republic each scored six goals in wins over Chinese Taipei and Cambodia respectively on Matchday Two of the AFC U23 Championship Thailand 2020 Qualifiers at Phnom Penh Olympic Stadium on Sunday. 

Australia and Korea Republic are both level on top of the standings after collecting their second wins and Graham Arnold’s charges will play the Koreans on Tuesday, while Chinese Taipei take on Cambodia.

See also :

Chinese Taipei 6-0 Australia

The Olyroos controlled the pace of the game and were the first to settle with Abraham Majok opening their account in the 18th minute before doubling the advantage six minutes later.

Chinese Taipei tried their best to fight back but fell further behind when Thomas Deng found the back of the net in added time as Australia took a 3-0 lead into half-time.

The Aussies continued their dominant display in the second half and increased their tally after Tass Mourdoukoutas got on the scoresheet five minutes after the restart.

Any hope of a Chinese Taipei comeback was dashed when Pierce Waring scored Australia’s fifth in the 63rd minute before sealing the win two minutes from time for a 6-0 finish.

[FT] 대한민국🇰🇷 6-1 🇰🇭캄보디아
대만전에 이어 오늘도 몰아친 U-22 남자대표팀!
캄보디아를 6-1로 대파하며 2차전 역시 승리를 거둡니다!
26일 호주전도 많은 응원 바랍니다!

✔2020 AFC U-23 챔피언십 1차예선
🇰🇷v🇦🇺#호주 03.26(화) 19:00#대한민국 #축구 #U22대표팀

— 대한축구협회(KFA) (@theKFA) March 24, 2019

Cambodia 1-6 Korea Republic

Korea Republic started brightly and only needed four minutes to find the back of the net after Han Chan-hee fired his team into the lead, with his effort slightly deflecting off Yue Safy into the net.

Cambodia tried to regroup and pushed forward but this only created more space for the Koreans as Jang Ming-yu doubled the lead with a header off a corner.

The young Angkor Warriors fought back and came close to scoring following a swift counter attacking move which saw Narong Kakada's shot hit the side netting.

Kim Hak-bum’s charges gave the Cambodians another scare in the 41st minute when Kim Dae-won found space and fired from distance to rattle the woodwork as the first half ended 2-0 in Korea Republic’s favour.

Korea Republic kept the tempo up in the second half and furthered their advantage in the 57th minute, courtesy of Kim Bo-sub’s strike but their joy was short-lived as Cambodia pulled one back when they finally broke their goal-scoring duck in the Qualifiers.

Narong Kakada collected the ball following some clever interception at the edge of the area before slotting past goalkeeper Ahn Joon-soo to put the score at 3-1.

Korea Republic restored their three-goal advantage in the 80th minute after Ouk Sovann’s clearance landed in the back of his own net and Lee Dong-gyeong made it 5-1 four minutes later.

The young Taeguk Warriors kept pressing and scored their sixth in added time with Lee Dong-gyeong scoring his second.

Photos: Football Federation of Cambodia

Recommended Stories :