Yaya Toure on trial at Qingdao Huanghai
Qingdao: Former Barcelona and Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure has landed in China PR on a trial with second-tier Qingdao Huanghai, the club said on Friday.
The 36-year-old has been without a team since December after an unsuccessful three-month spell at Olympiakos in Greece.
There were suggestions that the former Ivory Coast international had retired, but he denied that earlier this week and said he wanted to keep playing "for a few more years".
It appears that his swansong could now be a sojourn in eastern China at Qingdao, who are top of the second-tier China League One and play in Barcelona colours.
I am now ready and focused to take new challenges in playing football!— Yaya Touré (@YayaToure) May 12, 2019
And don’t worry once the time has come, I will announce my retirement personally and officially by myself!!
Toure was pictured on Thursday arriving at the city's airport and British media said that he was poised to sign.
But a Qingdao Huanghai press official said such reports were wide of the mark.
"He is here for a trial," said a spokesman. "The coaching team will assess his physical condition and ability to decide whether he is suitable for our team."
Toure, who spent eight successful seasons with Premier League champions City before being released last summer, has long been linked with a move to China PR.
Ricardo Vaz Te, the 32-year-old former Bolton Wanderers and West Ham United forward, is on Qingdao's books.