Thu, 28 Oct, 2021

Kuwait City: Kuwait Sports Club coach Marin Ion is facing a midfield crisis ahead of Saturday’s AFC Cup final against fellow Kuwaiti side Al Qadsia as the defending champions seek to claim a record third title at Peace & Friendship Stadium.
Hadi Khamees was needlessly sent-off in last month’s semi-final second leg win over India’s East Bengal and is suspended, while fellow midfielders Fahad Al Enezi and Nasser Al Shaqqath will miss the final due to injury.
But after Kuwait SC maintained their four point cushion over Al Qadsia at the top of the domestic Premier League with a 3-1 win over Al Tadamon last weekend, Romanian coach Ion is confident his squad can step up and add to their previous AFC Cup success in 2009 and 2012.
“Winning the title last year doesn’t mean that we have an advantage as each match is different,” said Ion, who has seen his side make a 100% start to defence of their domestic title with last Saturday’s win representing a seventh win in as many games.
“We will be missing several key players but we will not be affected because we have good players who can replace them.”
The two sides have met twice in the AFC Cup previously with Kuwait SC winning both Round of 16 ties in 2012 and 2011 on penalties.
“It’s a happy day for Kuwaiti football to see two local teams playing in a continental competition final which is the AFC Cup,” added Ion.
“Al Qadsia and Kuwait SC are the two best teams locally in the recent years and they have many players who play with the national team.”
Kuwait SC’s Tunisian striker Issam Jemaa is the leading scorer in the AFC Cup with 15 goals, with Al Qadsia’s Bader Al Mutwa is fourth on the list with nine.
Jemaa’s team-mate and reigning AFC Foreign Player of the Year Rogerinho, meanwhile, is eyeing the 20th AFC Cup goal of his career on Saturday with the Brazilian having found net six times so far in the competition this year.
“It’s a great thing to have an all Kuwaiti final in the competition,” said Kuwait SC captain Jarrah Al Ateeqi.